Tuesday 11 November 2014

Van Persie hits back at his criticism

Van Persie
Van Persie
Robin van Persie has hit back at criticism of his Netherlands captaincy and insists that he still merits the armband given to him by Louis van Gaal – even though the veteran coach overlooked him as Manchester United skipper.

Van Persie has been Oranje captain since 2013 and led his country to a third-placed finish in the 2014 World Cup, though Wayne Rooney was chosen ahead of him to replace Nemanja Vidic as United skipper.A poor start to the country’s Euro 2016 qualifying campaign – they sit six points behind joint Group A leaders Iceland and Czech Republic – coupled with a disappointing run of form at Old Trafford has led some to suggest he should give up the armband, but Van Persie insists he pays no attention to his critics.

“I have the feeling I’m in the middle of the group. The critics don’t hurt me, because I get appreciated by people who can really judge,” he said to Goal.

“I receive the appreciation and feel it every day. The Netherlands is a country with a lot of opinions. Those get harder and harder, increasingly ruthless. That’s a trend. I have to deal with it.

“Everyone can have his opinion. That’s the world we live in. I was chosen by Louis van Gaal on the basis of who I am and what I did and am doing. I don’t see why I should change.”

Van Persie does, however, admit that he feels “responsible” for Netherlands’ dismal start to their qualifying campaign, which has seen them lose 2-0 to Iceland and 2-1 to Czech Republic, though he insists so-called crisis talks with head coach Guus Hiddink were simply “honest” conversations.

“As a player I feel responsible; that has nothing to do with me being captain. We want to win and that didn’t happen,” he said.

“We all feel responsible. We’re winners and used to winning. It’s painful we’re in this situation. We must give a good example, first on Wednesday against Mexico and Sunday against Latvia.”

When asked about Hiddink, he added: “Those were other talks than we’re used to having. Usually we talk about brilliant goals and fun moments.

“But now nothing good has happened at Oranje and you have different conversations. Not negative, but we must be honest and we are honest.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like